I’ve spent the last year–and especially these last few months–trying to figure out who I am right now and who I want to be in the future. It’s time for me to start thinking seriously about what I want out of my life, no matter how early for that I think it is. I have to start looking at Colleges and Majors, and scholarships and financial aid, and SATs and ACTs because like it or not they play a large role in the next few years of my life. I’ve started thinking about what career I’d like to pursue… something in the Anthropological field; I’ve always been fascinated by ancient cultures, and the origins of modern society. For whatever reason my parents and my guidance counselor at school find that hilarious. They think it’s not really a profitable field to be in, which may be true, but it is one that is sometimes underestimated, i think. In the race to make money, people sometimes forget the importance of learning, and doing meaningful, fulfilling work. I’d also love to be a comedy writer. I’m not really a funny person, and I’m not the sort of girl who can get up in front of people and not try to blend in with the wall, but since I started watching (like really watching) SNL, and Parks & Rec and New Girl and The Mindy Project, I’ve been thinking… if Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler and Vanessa Bayer and Mindy Kaling and whoever else can firstly, sit down and write jokes and not be afraid of whether people will get them at first, and make my day (or night), and secondly, have fun while doing it, why can’t I? which leads me to…
Laura’s Resolutions for 2014
- Stop listening and caring about what other people think unless it is about legitimately bad idea like driving in the snow, or breaking a law, or being really awful to somebody etc. Essentially, be the real-life embodiment of the Girl Who Marches to Her Own Beat characters that are found in every YA novel, and indie film.
- Be more open-minded.
- Write more. 2013 was a legendary year of drought writing-wise. Write anything… comedy routines, sketches, a screenplay or two, music, songs, things about why Matt Smith Will Always Be The Doctor…again anyhting.
- Get a job because job=paycheck=
money=records+shoes=savings+life experience+new skills
- Learn more guitar and ukulele. I might just form a band as a side project (see: Zooey Deschanel, Carrie Brownstein, Fred Armisen, Maya Rudolph, Jimmy Fallon).
- Read More. 2013 has also been a somewhat book-less year. Or NEW book-less year. It’s been mostly about re-re-re-re-re-reading favorites. And not-so favorites. BUT I DID FIND Bossypants AND The Great Gatsby.